This recipe will make 20-30 toilet bombs, depending on your ice cube tray holes size, for this standard ice cube trays are perfect.
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of vinegar
- ¼ cup of citric acid
- 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide*
- 20 drops of your favourite essential oil / oils (Peppermint & Lavender go very well together, but Lemon & Tea Tree are amazing, too. Feel free to experiment with the scent)**
- Ice cube trays & teaspoon for portioning
- Bowl & wooden spoon or a fork for mixing all the ingredients
- Sealable jar for your toilet bombs ready for use
- Gloves for protection of your hands
* Hydrogen Peroxide is a natural equivalent to Sodium Hypochlorite, it sanitises and disinfects, and is totally safe to environment
**It is worth mentioning at this point that some Essential oils have brilliant anti-bacterial (ie. Lemon, Tea Tree, Lavender) and anti-fungal (Lemongrass, Clove, Tea Tree) properties. So you won’t only be making your toilet smell nice, but you’ll be giving it the extra protection against bacteria that you need. All ingredients can be bought online or from local hardware store.
- Mix all ingredients together, start with the powder ingredients – baking soda & citric acid, then add the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, lastly followed by the oils
- You should achieve a nice clumpy mixture
- Using a tea spoon transfer your mixture into your ice cube trays
- Leave overnight in dry and cool place, away from pets & children
- Use 2 toilet bombs
- Drop them down the toilet bowl and let it sit (and fizz) in the water whilst you are cleaning the rest of the bathroom
- When ready, give the toilet a good brush, flush and enjoy your lovely clean toilet bowl
- You may wish to repeat this process for harder water areas to remove further limescale from the bowls
- Crumble 1 or 2 bombs on the bowl and give it a quick slightly damp brush
- Let sit for a while
- Return little while later, to brush again and flush to enjoy a lovely sparkling clean bowl
- For a quick toilet refresh – drop 2 bombs in the toilet and let sit until next use
- The essential oils will make it smell fresh and clean, whilst all the other ingredients are quietly descaling the bottom of your toilet bowl
The magic of eco-friendly toilet cleaning is to have a good brush on hand and give the toilet bowls a good brush.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances sing to the toilet brush. Ever!
To finish cleaning the toilet – use Hydrogen peroxide in spray and spray on your toilet seats and let sit for a couple of minutes before completely wiping your toilet clean and dry. Always use gloves!
This is a 100% natural and eco-friendly method to cleaning toilets, so enjoy making the recipe – you may even wish to do this with your children. It takes literally a few minutes to mix it all together and place into ice cube trays. And you can have fun with the essential oils! If you try this out, make sure to take some photos and tag us on social media! @magicpixieseco